Software Developer with over 35 years experience in full-stack, full-lifecycle
software development (20 years Java, recent Ruby on Rails).
Team player welcomes creative technical challenges on complex advanced IC projects.
Experienced in Java (Spring/Hibernate/EJB/JSP/JPA/JMS/Struts/JUnit/Log4J/Javadoc/Swing/JAI),
Have programmed in everything from assembler to Smalltalk.
Web-based intelligence applications, ETL, Advanced Imagery, C4ISR, Real-time/simulation, Instructional Design, Computer-Based Training (CBT).
Windows, Linux/Unix/POSIX with shell scripts, JVM, Oracle, OS/2, Mac, VMS, p-system, bare processor (no OS)...
|Design and Development Methods:
- Agile development, Scrum, rapid prototyping, iterative lifecycle, spiral, waterfall, UML, design patterns.
- Object-Oriented Analysis (OORA), Design (OOD), Programming (OOP). Functional and imperative programming.
- SEI CMMi Levels 1-5. Writing and presentation skills.
- IDEs - Eclipse, NetBeans, Aptana RadRails, Pentaho Kettle. Also IntelliJ Idea, Teamworks, Lotus Notes, Ms Visual Studio, Rational Apex, WebMethods B2B.
- Database - Oracle with PL/SQL, Hibernate with HQL, ActiveRecord. Also MySQL, Ms SQL Server, Access. Knowledge of MarkLogic.
- Graphics - Adobe Photoshop, Flash, Fireworks, ImageStyler, Corel, GIMP.
- Web & App Servers - Apache, Tomcat, JBoss, WebLogic, WebSphere, WebMethods, Mongrel, WEBrick, GlassFish.
University of California, Irvine
B.S., Information and Computer Science, 1981
||Top Secret - TS/SCI FSP
|April 2014 to Present
General Dynamics Information Technology, Herndon, VA
- Developed several web applications for IC customer,
Agile software development supported by JIRA, Git, Maven, Stash, NetBeans, Intellij IDEA, and Oracle SQL Developer.
Created ETL processes in Pentaho Kettle.
|Jan. 2011 to Dec. 2013
Whiteboard Federal Technologies, Reston, VA
- Developed data layer software with web interfaces for IC customer,
using Java, Spring/Hibernate, HQL, JMS, with Tomcat, ActiveMQ, Oracle, JUnit
- Likewise developed data layer software with web and RESTful interfaces for IC customer,
- Agile Scrum development with two-week sprints, supported by Rally, JIRA, SVN, Ant, Maven, Hudson.
|June 2010 to Jan. 2011
Cyberspace Solutions, LLC, Reston, VA
|Aug. 2004 to Feb. 2010
Lockheed Martin IS&GS, Sterling, VA
Software Engineer Staff
- Developed large Java Enterprise web application for IC customer.
Coded business logic in Java 5 with EJB3, running on WebLogic, using
Eclipse, NetBeans, Log4J, JUnit, PuTTY, Toad, SQL Developer, MagicDraw,
Designed business layer, using MagicDraw to create DoDAF and UML design
- Selected technology, architecture and design, negotiated schedule,
met with customer, and guided junior programmer, to create small Java
Struts web project for IC customer, using NetBeans, JSP, SQL, JUnit, and
- Supported and documented a standardized Ruby on Rails architecture
and complete development/deployment platform, enabling IC customer to
create RoR web applications quickly and easily.
- Selected technology, set up server, created web-based applications
XML, served by Tomcat, integrated with IBM Lotus Notes/Domino app.
Produced graphics and audio/animation web-delivered content, using Audacity, Adobe
Photoshop, Fireworks, and Flash.
- GCCS-A - Maintain GCCS External Manager SORTS Receive
software, to implement U.S. Army AR 220-1 revisions. Used GNAT Ada with
GPS, on Unix.
- Web portal operational prototype: turned experimental AutoTrackXP
software module into operational prototype, for DHS e-Customs
WebSphere Java/JSP portlet wrapper around Tomcat Java/JSP portlet app,
with Oracle SQL. Web service client, using SSL/XML.
|2003 to July 2004
Northrop Grumman, McLean, VA
Application Software Developer
- Developed web portal software for IC customer,
using Java, JSP, Struts, JBoss, SQL. Web application, with browser-based
front end, Sybase on the back end.
|1986 to 2003||
The Boeing Company (MDAC - McDonnell Douglas Aerospace Corp.)
Software Engineer Specialist
Integrated Defense Systems: Boeing Autometric, Chantilly, VA
MDAC Space Station Division, Huntington Beach, CA
- Advanced Imagery - Developed imagery display desktop software, for IC customer.
Written in Java with Swing and JAI; used Forte and Eclipse IDEs to refactor/rewrite prototype
imagery application into production version.
- SoftPlotter - Created interface to MrSID Geo image file format in C++.
- GCAS / NIMA USIGS 2005 - Software developer for a prototype
distributed, three-tiered geospatial imagery storage/retrieval system.
Back end used e-commerce solutions - WebMethods B2B, EJB, SQL, XML - to
communicate with external legacy systems and databases. Front end used
clients. WebLogic and iPlanet application servers. NT, Solaris.
- Webmaster for internal Boeing web sites, using Macromedia Flash, Apache, Cold Fusion, NetObject Fusion.
- Participted in successful effort to raise SEI CMM level from 1 to 3;
created SEI overview presentation, presented by myself and top management.
- Wrote internal white paper on "CSC-based Regression Testing".
- In 1996, wrote a CM utility application in Java 1 (using Symantec Visual Café) with
Oracle JDBC Java Bean as SQL interface to Oracle server.
- Created internal Boeing web site to edit, publish, and view a
daily online news digest, using Netscape SuiteSpot with server-side
- DoDIIS AMHS - Code, test, and documentation of an Automated
Message Handling System. Version A: X-windows client-server
architecture in C. Version B: web-based, using C, Perl, CGI, HTML, and
- AAS, NERC - On-site subcontractor to Lockheed Martin
Federal Systems Div., an SEI Level 5 organization.
Coding, testing, and documenting 9-layer ISO network communications
protocol in Ada on RS-6000/AIX platforms, for air traffic control
MDAC C3I Division, Huntington Beach, CA
- Space Station MDM Software Development:
- Prototyped Rate Monotonic Scheduler of multiple real-time Ada
applications on a naked 386SX. Book boss for requirements and design
- Segment-to-Segment Attachment System: Worked with system engineers to write requirements; identified common design elements.
- Propulsion System Simulation: Wrote Software Requirements Spec, Software Product Spec (design), and User's Guide.
- Node Management Simulation: Tiger team, wrote Software Product Spec.
- Space Station Advanced Software R&D:
- Prototyped a Space Station environmental control simulation, as a network of Intelligent Agents in a Subsumptive Architecture, using an object-oriented style in Ada.
- Space Station Data Management System (DMS):
- Functional Requirements Analysis of DMS Functional Simulation.
- Participated in writing DMS CEI Specification.
- WWABNCP-R - Functional Analysis (FRA, FFBDs) of top level
and C3I systems for a proprosed World-Wide Airborne National Command
Post that could direct a prolonged nuclear war.
- SDI-EV - Proposal writing and Structured Software Analysis
(DFDs), to simulate the Strategic Defense Initiative Battle Management
|1985 to 1986||
Telos Consulting Services, Fullerton, CA
Member, Technical Staff
Consultant to Hughes Information Systems, Irvine, CA:
- Designed software interface library for FORTRAN client
applications to use Britton-Lee IDM database server, for a NATO command
|1981 to 1985||
Ford Aerospace & Communications Corp., DIVAD Division, Newport Beach, CA
Engineer Associate Logistics
Fire Control Trainer:
System Maintenance Trainer:
- Created prototype CBT using FORTRAN, BASIC and Z-80 Assembler.
- Wrote drivers for static and animated graphics, plus application layer.
Troop Proficiency Trainer (TPT):
- Developed and conducted formal training for courseware authors.
- Developed and documented Audio/Video drivers for courseware.
- Wrote Authoring Handbook, trained authoring team, developed exercises.
- Expanded device capabilities through inventive use of existing features.